OPERATION NUTCRACKER - WOODFORD OVERFLIGHT
Welcome visitors from Bad Astronomy! If you're looking for the plane flight wiki, you'll find it here
. The rest of this page is devoted to the leadup.Vaccination Saves Lives flyover wiki
Change of programme is announced on the Woodford Facebook page (posted 9:30pm 24 Dec 2011 - woodford post ~7:30pm)
Meryl Dorey is attempting to spin this as "it's what I wanted all along". #stopAVN has news for her. You don't want this, Meryl. You've turned the PR environment around Woodford's Annual festival into a toxic sludge and now you're going to get called out on every lie you make. Have fun.
Meryl Dorey of the Australian Vaccination Network
is back on the bill at the Woodford Folk Festival. Meryl Dorey has repeatedly and wilfully demonstrated herself incapable of providing accurate information on vaccination, even when corrected. Her appearance at Woodford, then, is a clear and present danger to public health
Up to 130,000 people - many of them impressionable young families - will be attending the festival, so this is a potential disaster for public health in the region, as well as a PR nightmare for the sponsors and the festival as an ongoing concern.
The background on the story can be found over at the blog
, but there's plenty of other coverage
UPDATE: Organiser Bill Hauritz has responded to Mama Mia - and he's entirely unapologetic, as well as being quite a long way down the rabbit hole. Read the fail here
Note: This is not a free speech issue. Meryl Dorey has a right to her opinions (if not her own facts). However for her to be presented, inaccurately, as an "expert" and then given a privileged platform and a microphone is a major problem. Her information is debunked, repeatedly and thoroughly. She is known to be disastrously wrong about vaccination. She should not be presented as an expert.
Now that it's hit the mainstream media, Do you think perhaps the Woodford Wikipedia page needs a "2011 Antivaccine controversy" section?
UPDATE: The festival's Wikipedia page now has a "controversy" section outlining this scandalYou need this link: Imunisation myths and realities
A change.org petition has been started, addressed to incoming federal health minister Tanya Plibersek
. Please signGetUp has a campaign to stop Dorey being billed as an expert You know what to do
LINKING TO THIS PAGE? use http://bit.ly/WoodfordFF
The ReactionsBlogs, News Stories and letters
A Letter to Councillor Bob Millar by Amy IvesEmail from Doctor LT to Woodford Organisers and Moreton Bay CouncilEmail to QLD Health Minister Geoff Wilson
- My blog: A Letter To The Organisers of Woodford Folk Festival
- Lucky Losing: Woodford folk festival promote dangerous anti-vaccination myths
- Mama Mia: Woodford Folk Festival allows dangerous anti-vax woman to speak(comment thread highly active)
- Reasonable Hank: Woodford Folk Festival Posing a Risk to Public Health and Safety
- Chrys Stevenson Woodford Festival Risks Children's Lives
- Skeptimite: Meryl Dorey in QLD
- BitBucket: Is Woodford Folk Festival A Danger To Public Health?
- BitBucket followed up with a complaint http://www.jmcp.homeunix.com/roller/jmcp/entry/complaint_sent_to_the_woodford
- Mike Stuchbery: The Fanatic and The Festival
- Reasonable Hank: Hey Woodford Folk Festival I Fixed That Thing For You
- The Millenium Project: Anti-vaccination propaganda at the Folk Festival
- Thinking Is Real: Woodford Folk Festival, is it for you?
- The Conversation: Meryl Dorey at Woodford Folk Festival: A Hazard To Your Child's Health?
- Eggrings: How Meryl Dorey took the last piece of my hippie soul and squashed it into the Woodford mud
- Reasonable Hank: Woodford Folk Festival organiser Bill Hauritz - anti-vaccination apologist
- Token Skeptic: “We’ve Already Entered Into Contracts With Meryl Dorey… The Damage Is Already Done.” Woodford Folk Festival
- Brisbane Times Woodford Not Immune To Medical Controversy
- Pharyngula Horrifyingly Delusional Anti-vaxxers in Australia (Also at FreeThoughtBlogs)
- My blog: #WoodfordFF is NOT about Free Speech
- Mitch Sully: We Need To Get A Couple Of Things Straight
- Reddit: Woodford folk festival spreading anti-vax misinformation. Boycott? (personal note - rather than boycott, turn up. Monitor Meryl's lies. Challenge them. Report back)
- Sunshine Coast Daily Vaccination Row Erupts
- 101.5FM MBRC comes out against Meryl Dorey and anti-vaccination
- Thinking Is Real: Meryl Dorey Slowly Roasted at Mama Mia
- Furious Purpose: Melanie's Marvellous Madness (reaction to Pharyngula post)
- Skeptimite CALL TO ACTION: Meryl Dorey at Woodford
- Lymphosite What's In A Title?
- Eggrings The "Woo-ford scandal": from outraged masses to mainstream media condemnation
- Jayson D Cooke: Woodford Folk Festival criticised for one sided anti-vaccination promotion
- Griffith University Skeptics and Freeethinkers: So who’s up for some skeptical activism at the Woodford Folk Festival?
- Sunshine Coast Daily Vaccination Row Erupts ("pro choice my foot" - @skepticzone)
- Shellity: Introducing...
- Courier Mail: Anti-vaccination activist Meryl Dorey needles opponents of her speaking at Woodford Folk festival WITH POLL
- Courier Mail Video: Two Mins On High: Antivaccination activist given voice at Woodford
- ABC The Drum Transparency essential in the vaccine debate
- Antivaxxers.com Woodford Folk Festival 2011
- Dan Buzzard Meryl Dorey and Woodford Folk Festival
- Reason Australia Meryl Dorey at Woodford Folk Festival: a hazard to your child’s health?
- Danspaceman Why Freedom Of Speech Isn't What You'd Think
- Statement from the QLD Minister for Health http://www.cabinet.qld.gov.au/MMS/StatementDisplaySingle.aspx?id=78177
- Jayson D Cooke Queensland’s Minister for Health responds to anti-vaccination propaganda campaign #woodfordff
- Mama Mia: Don't Take Her Nonsense Seriously: QLD on AVN's Meryl Dorey
- Skeptic.com That Meryl, Always Causing Trouble
- MySunshineCoast: Statement From The Minister For Health And The Chief Health Officer
- News-Medical Debate on freedom of speech regarding vaccines at Woodford Folk Festival (note: this is still not a free speeech issue)
- Jonathan Sanders Meryl Dorey: To Be Or Not To Be (accuracy in question)
- Lucky Losing Meryl Dorey and the Woodford “free speech, democracy” thing
- Northern Star Anti Vaccination Talk Starts War of Words (note, the Northern Star is Meryl Dorey's local paper, and before the emergence of Stop The AVN regularly handed her a free pass) Sydicated to Whitsunday Times, Gympie Times and Coffs Harbour Advocate
- Sunshine Coast Daily: Minister Needles Folk Fest Speaker
- Radio 4BC: Chrys Stevenson Interviewed
- Skeptimite 4BC with Meryl Dory, Chrys Stevenson and Myself!
- In Your Face: Response To Silly AVN Propaganda
- Eggrings: The Smart kids present the Ministerial Statement #woodfordff
- Firesnakepodcast: Meryl Dorey refutes herself over "death threats"
- Brisbane Times Free speech defended, but minister blasts vaccination views
- Medical Observer: Anti-vax views 'nonsense': Health Minister
- Skeptic Zone Podcast: Think Tank on #WoodfordFF
- The Pod Delusion: Episode 115: Antivax Folk Fest
- That Meryl! Episode 20
- Reasonable Hank: Demonstrable Liars and Constructive Public Vaccination Debate
- Lucky Losing: Meryl Dorey’s upcoming Woodford Festival whooping cough trick
- Chrys Stevenson: Wot I done on my summer vacation … (with love to Meryl Dorey)
- WIN TV: Woodford on WIN TV
- The Conversation: The flap earns a mention in this article by Julie Leask
- The Carapace: Meryl Dorey and The Woodford Folk Festival
- Skeptimite: What Next, Woodford?
- The Skeptic Zone: Podcast #165
- The Carapace: More Embarrassment for @WoodfordFF
- Skeptimite: A Brief History of Meryl at Woodford
- Skeptimite: JOIN THE FUN - Phil Kent with a call to action on the Woodford Folk Festival
- RRR Melbourne: Paul Gallagher talks to Ginger Briggs about Antivaccination and Woodford Folk Festival
- Daily Telegraph: Tracey Spicer - Campaign Of Fear Gives Me The Needle
- ABC Science Discussion Forum: Meryl Dorey tells her fibs at Woodford
- Thinking Is Real: Breaking News Woodford/Meryl Dorey Late Change
- King's Tribune: A Hiustory of Stupidity
I just followed up my own letter to Woodford organisers (at 12:15pm 13 Dec) with:
Just a quick note to let you know I'm still waiting for a response. The outcry on the web and in social media is growing, and Tracey Spicer has just taken the story to radio. You need to make a good and firm PR response as soon as possible, because all the indications are that this will grow.
I have still not received an email response from the Woodford organisers as of 21 Dec 2011
In a lighter vein, Meryl Dorey graces The Wank ReportA dissenting opinion from Croakey: Why Meryl Dorey Should Stay On The Woodford Festival ProgramDorey's Response
Waaaaah! Free Speech! Where are my flying monkeys? FLY, MY PRETTIES! FLY!
The mama Mia article is running
top of page 2
bottom half of Page one on a Google search for "Woodford Folk Festival
" at the time of update - https://www.google.com/search?aq=f&gcx=c&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=woodford+folk+festival&safe=active
12:19pm 13 Dec: BitBucket's results reported as running 3 and 4 for "Woodford Folk Festival" - confirming now.
Linking to the story with the text "Woodford Folk Festival" will inevitably drive these results upwards.
As Wotnews shows
, coverage of the festival has been dominated by the anti-vaccine scandal.
The current Twitter buzz can be seen here
and at The Wall
. There are tweets going to sponsors, as with this example from @eggrings
"celebrity skeptic" Phil Plait has tweeted the story
today (13 Dec 2011), so increased international traffic is expected.
Woodford's Twitter account is @woodfordff
and their facebook page is here
(currently locked to public posts). They can be emailed: email@example.com
It has been suggested that we contact QLD Premier Anna Bligh for a statement. She tweets via @TheQLDPremier
(STATEMENT LINKED HERE
More, as always, can be found at Stop The AVN
, this story is developing.
Lead story on dwinter's Paper.li
Tweets mentioning 'woodfordff' are now being archived by Skepticator.com for later analysis and citation.Current Twitter search for "Meryl Dorey"What's with the weird Woodford Tweets?
Woodford appear to have already attracted public criticism this year
Tracey Spicer has tweeted that she'll be talking about this on Radio 2UE shortly
UPDATE: AUDIO of the Tracey Spicer piece can be found here. Chrys Stevenson reports she'll be appearing on WIN TV 14/12/11 MIDDAY
video to follow, we hope-- Video here
UPDATE: Mike Stuchbery Reports that the Sydney Morning Herald may be picking up the story, and approaches have been made to the Courier Mail and the Sunshine Coast Daily.
UPDATE: Steve Cannane reports that ABC's The Drum will be covering the scandal VIDEO HERE
QLD Premier Anna Bligh has a response here
- correspondents are letting her know that Hauritz is wilfully ignoring pleas for sanity, and that it's time some muscle was flexed.Trending in Melbourne15/12/2011 4pm Looks like JJJ and ABC Radio have been removed from the Woodford Sponsors page http://t.co/8k5MrNIb
Here's how Dorey has been billed:
With regard to the 1 in 38 statistic, this is cherry-picked from a South Korean study and can probably be considered a statistical outlier, or a study artifact, since it's only a single study which leaps from previous estimates quite dramatically (reputable
). The Actual Australian rate is around 1 in 160
, as determined by Swinburne University. (Thanks Paul Gallagher for digging this up).
Prediction 1: Dorey will "confuse" parts per million and parts per billion - a difference factor of 1000 - when she mentions mercury in her talk. You can take that one to the bank, since she's done it before, been corrected, then done it again shortly afterwards
Prediction 2: Dorey will "defend" the discredited (for fraud) former Doctor Andrew Wakefield, and repeat the canard that MMR a) causes autism and b) contains mercury. It doesn't and it never did
Here's a link to the Immunisation Handbook
in case you encounter an antivaxer that needs schoolingPRESS:
If you'd like to contact someone about this story, please feel free to use the social media links on the left, and I can either assist personally or refer you through #stopAVN
Sponsors List(thanks @reasonablehank for the screenie)
Note: ABC/TripleJ are not financial supporters, and offer only editorial assistance
Clarke Kann Lawyers can be found here http://www.clarkekann.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=220&Itemid=218
Midell Water are here http://www.midellwater.com.au/index.php?id=13
(incidentally, to annoy the natural nuts, Midell are involved with CSG mining)
Skill Centred Queensland are here http://training.gov.au/Organisation/Details/39308cca-bbe9-46e5-a538-acbb1959b01a?tabIndex=2
Brisbane Marketing are her http://www.brisbanemarketing.com.au/About-Us/Contact-us.aspx
Moreton Bay Regional Council http://www.moretonbay.qld.gov.au/general.aspx?id=72496 OFFICIAL STATEMENT HERE
QLD State Government http://www.qld.gov.au/contact-us/
... more to follow
Background on Dorey
Meryl Dorey is easily Australia's most debunked woman
Here's a search page of my blog on the topic of Meryl Dorey
, if you need to see how idiotic she really is.
You can also try out MerylDorey.org
.Reasonable Hank's blog
is an excellent source of information on Meryl Dorey's equivocation, errors, misrepresentations and outright lies
Peter Bowditch has been following Meryl Dorey's idiocy for many years
She, through the organisation she runs as her own personal fiefdom, is subject to an unprecedented NSW HCCC public warningNSW OLGR removed her group's charitable status
due to serious irregularities, some of which were referred to law enforcement. Her group's finances are under severe scrutiny, especially as the group's bi-monthly magazine has fallen woefully short of its advertised six issues per year for the last few years.THAT MAKES SENSE ALF
Assuming Woodford refuses to pull Dorey's talk, some suggestions for forward planning.
Supporters of this campaign booked to attend Woodford should consider one of two options:
- Decline to attend
- Attend and participate in action
I'm of the opinion that attending and participating in action is the way to go. We will need boots on the ground to monitor Dorey's talk for the inevitable lies and deception, and to report them back to the appropriate authorities
It may also be useful for well-enough informed attendees to challenge Meryl in Q & A - but be aware you do need to be well informed
We also need volunteer monitors to keep an eye on appeals for funding. Dorey is banned from making public appeals for funding by the NSW OLGR. This event is in QLD, however QLD authorities would be most interested to hear NSW orders being breached across state borders. We need volunteers to retain any flyers handed out by Dorey, and to capture any public appeals on film (if legally possible - do not breach any laws to obtain footage). If we cannot stop Dorey disseminating her nonsense, we can challenge it, and make it difficult for her to get away with it unscathed.
At all times, stay civil, stay factual, be considered, and be better than the other guy. And if you can, have fun and be friendly to the public. People at protests with too much serious face end up looking like deranged cultists.
For those in the area who do not have tickets, @skeptimite
has expressed an interest in some action at or around the site, which I'm hoping to have more information on soon.